About Enforcement Actions

Often, one or both parties have obligations that extend beyond the final judgment. These obligations include alimony, child support, payment of equitable distribution, transfers of retirement and/or bank accounts, obligations to sell property and divide proceeds, and more.

Unfortunately, all too often, one former spouse (or both) defaults on his/her obligations. When this happens, the innocent party may take action to enforce their rights pursuant to their final judgment.

For the payment of alimony or child support, the innocent spouse must file a Motion for Contempt, seeking to have the defaulting party held in contempt of court. A motion for contempt carries with it the threat of incarceration for failure to pay support obligations if the defaulting party is proven to have willfully defied the court order.

For all other issues, the innocent party would file a Motion for Enforcement. This motion asks that the court compel the defaulting spouse to abide by their obligations pursuant to either the final judgment or the parties’ settlement agreement, if they entered into one. If the innocent spouse does not abide by the court order of enforcement, the person then risks imprisonment for failure to comply with the order of enforcement.

If you should have questions about enforcement actions, we are here to discuss them with you.

Please call us at 407-403-5558 or click here to contact us and schedule your appointment.

Divorce Attorney Orlando FL

The firm has a proven track record of providing superlative representation in complex personal and financial matters by dedication to client service, legal excellence and high standards of professional integrity.